Tuesday, December 1, 2009

PACSMan´s Notes From The Floor

PACSman: Another year another show...the weather is nice, but oy, my feet are killing me...Part of that is due to the decision of the powers that be to expand the technical exhibits from two to three areas to make the show look bigger. I had to look and see if Dr. Scholl was a new addition the Exhibitors Circle.

Everyone IS talking about attendance at this year's show, especially since HIMMS, SIIM, and others' attendance numbers were significantly down from last year. According to RSNA published reports officially attendance is up over both 2007 and 2008, with the RSNA stating the attendance that ¨set a new record¨. Based on what most vendors saw that might be hard to believe, the RSNA registration numbers are like an NBA basketball game - paid attendance and actual attendance can sometimes vary significantly especially since most RSNA members register whether they come or not. This would be an interesting use of RFID tags that have come into play the past few years. The RSNA should publish how many people showed up on each day, how long the stayed on the floor versus attending the presentations and other areas, as well as what booths they went to...I bet the results are eye openers.

Sign of the times - at least four majors and three others decided to cancel their parties this year. Surprisingly, those having parties could also have given the Secret Service a lesson in security given they were invitation only and were strictly enforced unlike prior years where all you had to do was show up. Thankfully I had the gracious and lovely Ms P. with me who opened as many social doors for me as I did for her.

Contrary to Ms. P´s predictions, the lines in the ladies room closely mimicked the men's, which had no lines at all. This is fascinating, considering most women almost always go in groups, something I never did understand, and won´t go at all if alone, choosing instead to hold it. Maybe one guards the door or something...but there are either fewer women this year or they are drinking less...

Speaking of women, with every third booth offering so many varieties of chocolate this year there is absolutely no excuse for bitchy behavior at all.

Lots and lots of changes this year. I no longer have to squint through a bus ad covering the windows...yeah!!! And Captain Kirk is letting me name my own price on hotels for the first time in ages...There were more hotel vacancies than you can shake a stick at, with me not only able to get a great rate, but the room type I wanted AND able to check in at 10 a.m. as well. That has NEVER happened in the past. New record attendance, huh? Could have fooled me and the Chicago hoteliers as well.

Lotsa big booths from the majors, but there is definitely more dancing area for sure...less equipment means less staff...and less staff means lower show costs...

I´m beginning to wonder if I am at a radiology conference or cosmetology show. Yesterday I got my thumbnail professionally polished (and can do the other nine digits in the privacy of my hotel room for the low show special price of just $49.95), and was offered treatment for my dry skin as well. I missed the foot massagers they had last year, but haven't made it completely around yet...so let´s hope.

I did see a dark haired beauty here who significantly piqued my interest, but alas Ms. P. said that I would have to buy her a meal to have her even remotely be interested interested in me and I just don't know if there is time for that. Her name is intriguing-Lola- which reminds me of that old Kinks song. I wonder if she´s a very kinky girl as well. Time will tell...

Gotta love the overseas companies. Every year I wonder how much they paid translators to do such a wonderful job of making me laugh...

OK, gotta get to the show. More tomorrow...And if anyone knows how to get Spanish characters off my laptop, please let me know. I let my love child use my computer last to do his Spanish project, and low and behold when I type in a character expecting one thing, Bobba Louie gives me another. Maybe it´s just getting me ready for the El Grande dinner tonight when many of us from various journals get together and share a laugh or three over lousy Mexican and wonderful drinks, while talking about the vendors in ways that will never ever see the light of day...Till tomorrow - Ole...

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to comment on your blog, its very funny and refreshing. Too many blogs are filled with technical stuff and humor is not something that is brought forward, I can say I know a thing or two about this because I need to bring some humor at my site as well that I am starting to recommend your site to. http://www.vismedical.com.

    ReplyDelete